Cooking is a great way for families to bond and also provides a fun way for the little ones to get involved with daily household tasks!
This delicious Chicken Jambalaya recipe by renowned brewery and restaurant, Brewerkz, is bound to get some laughter going on in the kitchen and sighs of satisfaction at the dinner table!
Chicken Jambalaya is a hearty Spanish braised chicken stew served with butter pilaf rice. This recipe serves four but if you're cooking for less or more, simply divide or multiply the amount of each ingredient accordingly to keep your family well fed!
Chicken leg (bone-in) – 4pcs (1250g)
Garlic brats sausages – 625g
Yellow peeled onion – 213g
Red capsicum – 133g
Celery – 213g
Chopped garlic – 13g
Tomatoes – 100g
Salt – 10g
Smoked paprika – 25g
Cayenne pepper – 13g
Ground black pepper – 4g
Tomato paste – 168g
Water – 875g
- Season both sides of chicken, skin side and meat side
- To prevent charred areas when searing the chicken, take note to season meat side with salt and pepper, and season skin side only with salt.
- Heat up a pot. Only when the pot is hot, sear a few portions of chicken in it skin side down, adding more oil when necessary.
- After searing the chicken, lay them in a cast iron pan, baking or casserole dish that is 4 inch deep. Make sure not to stack the chicken. You would want to ensure that the braising liquid which you will be making in the next step would be able to cover the chicken.
- Using the same pot the chicken was seared in, add in the other ingredients in this order (onions, red capsicum, celery, chopped garlic, tomatoes)
- Add in the salt when you see that the onions have caramelised and become soft. The salt help to extract moisture from the vegetables which makes the braising liquid more flavourful.
- Next, add in the garlic brats sausages and pour in the apices and black pepper. Saute till fragrant. Do not cook the spices for too long to avoid burning.
- Add in the tomato paste and cook it for a minute to reduce acidity.
- Lastly, add in the water and put it to a boil. Simmer it for a couple of minutes to taste.
- Pour this basting liquid over the chicken and bake in the oven at 185 degree celsius for 20 minutes.
- To ensure it is cooked, poke the chicken with a knife or fork and make sure the juices run clear (not red or pinkish in colour).
- After cooling down, keep it in the chiller and let it sit overnight for the flavours to develop and infuse into the chicken.
Rice – 375g
Water – 375g
Butter – 19g
Diced yellow onion – 31g
Chopped garlic – 3g
Bay leaf – 1 piece
Salt – 8g
- Wash the rice and drain away the water.
- In a pan, melt the butter, sweat the onions and garlic. Add the bay leaf for fragrance.
- Put the rice into the rice cooker, add in the water, stir in the butter mixture, salt and mix evenly.
- Fluff up the rice after cooked.
- Braised items should always rest overnight for the flavours to develop and be more balanced.
- Heat up the chicken stew, and dress with sautéed green and yellow zucchini.
- Garnish with chives and serve the Spanish chicken stew with rice on the side.
Brewerkz is Singapore's longest-running craft brewery experience. It all began in 1997, where the company started as a brewpub. After years of expansion and growing the brand, Brewerkz now operates restaurants, a brewery, brew our own craft beer and cater at large-scale outdoor events.
Brewerkz is part of the Easy and Light Group which owns Crystal Wines, distributes Fiji Water and operates a portfolio of Mexican and Japanese restaurants.